Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Bird Paparazzi

It is beautiful in my neck of the woods today. It's so sunny and warm it makes you want to go outside, running around like Julie Andrews in The Sound Of Music, singing your brains out and looking certifiable. Which is so much better than it was yesterday, which was so cold and rainy and wrong that all you wanted to do was hide in a cave until it passed.

Of course, this made me worry about the robins nest in my rhododendron. I was afraid the little eggs would be cold and shivery and wouldn't incubate properly (yes, I thought this even though I knew the mother or father bird sat on that nest all day long). When I voiced my concerns to my husband he sighed and said "They're fine Jen. Don't worry." But he knows me and knows that was a useless thing to say.

As it turns out, he was right (but don't tell him I said that). The mama or daddy bird was right back on the nest today, and sitting in a really great position for me to get a great shot:


I mean really...is this the most considerate bird you've ever seen or what? I'm fairly certain it saw me hanging out the window (now that's a picture I should get and share here), but it didn't fly away or start yelling at me which I'm sure is what I'd do if someone were hanging out a window trying to get pictures of me.

I just found this great site online. I'm fairly certain the eggs were laid Friday to Sunday time frame, so it looks like I've probably got a week and a half before the little ones make their big debut.

Is it wrong how excite I am about this? I don't care. I feel like I've got the greatest science experience happening right in my yard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment